Friday, July 8, 2016

Cake Run 14: Aristocrat Bakeshop: The Checkmate Cake

Welcome to the 14th episode of Cake Run. From a simple family restaurant that expanded its wings to cater to the modern taste of the masses, Aristocrat remains an all-time favorite for family gatherings and special events including Father's, Mother's and even Grandparents' Day. It is a dining option wherein everyone is sure to enjoy given its lifespan of 3 generation (nearing 4 generations) standing of offering one of the best local cuisine.

As a child and even in my later years when my grandmother was still alive, we frequent this restaurant and fond memories of this restaurant made me revisit after a long time to once again have a taste of my childhood.




My all-time favorite is their chocolate cake but after becoming a certified cake lover, I have to expand my horizon and accommodate other flavors and designs. Allow me now to introduce the game of cakes called Check-It-Out.

Visual: Check Mate! No wait, a Rubik's cube perhaps. I cannot help but feel guilty for having to eat it soon as I have this urge to preserve its shape and save it as a decorative ornament in the house. Sadly, I have to focus and think that this is a cake and it is meant to be eaten or disposed of if not eaten after a couple of days. Boy, I do hate food wastage. It just goes against my principle.


Point aside, this cake's appearance reminds me of a chessboard not to mention the makers intent for it to be thought of that way, given how they named it. Instead of black and white like your usual chessboard, it is composed of light brown which I think is mocha and dark brown which looks to be chocolate flavor.

Slice through the outer layer from the top to the bottom until it resembles a fountain, you will end up with more playful alternatives. I then got the idea, "What if I try opening up all four corners and see for myself what colors it would reveal?" It sounded ridiculous but I gave it a shot and turns out, all four corners have different color combination. Each corner is composed of two layers with a brown icing to connect the two layers of bread similar to chiffon.


Outer Corners
Top
Inside Top
Inside Down
2 Dark Browns A
Light Brown
White Bread/Chiffon
Dark Bread/Chiffon
2 Light Browns A
Dark Brown
Dark Bread/Chiffon
White Bread/Chiffon
2 Dark Browns B
Light Brown
Dark Bread/Chiffon
White Bread/Chiffon
2 Light Browns B
Dark Brown
White Bread/Chiffon
Dark Bread/Chiffon

I actually had fun doing this.


Taste: Mmmm....savory and smooth. It is your classic cake that is just pure icing and breading inside. The bread's texture is not dry which is a plus, but the taste pales in comparison due to the sweetness of the icing. The light brown icing is actually mocha and the dark brown is chocolate. 

Delving inside, it is difficult to distinguish if you are eating the chocolate (dark bread) or the mocha (white one) bread as the icing's taste is overpowering. Actually, the sales staff was even saying that the breading is like a play between chocolate and lemon but I just assumed that the white bread is mocha, following the logic that the flavor of the icing is similar to the flavor the breading. I compared it to chess wherein the board is just black and white and the pieces are nothing more, nothing less than that.

  



Have an Aristocratic Tuesday. Feel free to share your playful comments and insights

No comments :

Post a Comment