Sunday, June 26, 2016

Cake Run 8: Love Desserts: Your Unlimited Source of Cakes and other Desserts Part 1

Welcome to another episode of Cake Run. Before we start, let me ask you guys first. What can you buy using your Php200 or USD4? Well, turns out you can treat yourself for a 2 hour eat-all-you-can dessert.
I have so much to share with you guys about this shop that I cannot spill it on one entry so I will do three series part wherein I will first introduce the shop then I will do my usual pure cake review and capped off by a review of their other desserts.

Located in a not so prominent area with a not so modern signage (it still makes use of a panaflex type instead of the modern cut-out LED kind), Love Desserts is one of those hole in the wall establishments that just calls to your adventurous spirit. It definitely leveled up the playing field by offering a unique experience to food lovers out there. 

Concept-Wise: I definitely would give it an all-star rating for its uniqueness. Sure, there are lots of restaurants that offer eat-all-you-can but it is not every day wherein you encounter an eat-all-you-can dessert. 

Value for Money: It has a wide selection of your favorite desserts ranging from the local ones to the worldly renowned types. From your ube (purple yams), kakanin (rice cakes) to your classic cinnamon rolls, cupcakes and colorful cakes, this place is really a must-go for sweet lovers like you and me. For just 4 bucks, need I say more?


More than anything else, I would like to commend the courage and boldness of the owners for venturing into this kind of business idea. Being immersed with a business mindset every now and then, given my family and corporate background, I cannot help but ask the following questions when the reservation lady mentioned that the bill is only Php199 per head: 1) How can you offer so many selections (breads, cakes and ice creams) for such an affordable price? 2) How much should be the volume of people per day or per month for the business to earn profit? 3) Cheaper ingredients perhaps? which can spell the difference in terms of taste


As a customer and avid fan of all things sweet, I can only watch and observe to get a tip of the iceberg information on their business strategy. With my years of tasting different treats, my eyes and tongue can be quite discerning when it comes to determining a good pastry from a bad one. 

While waiting for our turn to be seated, I went around and visually absorbed the dessert buffet just like any first timers would do. I have noticed that most of the pastries like the mini cinnamon rolls, cream puffs and brownies are quite dry looking while the cookies look lanky and lacking. I am not sure if it is because of the ingredients or maybe it has been out in the open for a long time. 



 


However, the cakes and shot glass desserts do not look bad but I would not be too quick to judge until I actually get to taste it. I will do a separate review on the next episode of Cake Run for the cakes that I find delightfully pleasing given that I only have to pay 4 bucks wherein normally, I have to spend 2 to 3 bucks per slice. 


Experience: Not so bad given that you only have to pay peanuts. I am not expecting a 5-star service but the least they can do is to satisfy the basics.  For one, the tables and chairs are too close to each other that it is difficult to move around especially when queuing for the desserts. Second, the utensils are quite old which brought some unfavorable images to mind but I chose to ignore it and focused on enjoying the buffet. Third, there are NO labels on each dessert. I mean, really? For a dessert fan like me, I would definitely not let it pass me to taste something and not know what it is. While my companions did not bother asking, I was a different story. I have to develop a thick skin and ask one of the service ladies who turned out to have a bubbly attitude despite having to attend to many things, much to my relief.

So far, only these three things bothered me slightly but I was actually more focused in experiencing the desserts on my plate and on the buffet table. 

I like the fact that the owners did not scrimp off and provided a full selection of what comprises a complete dessert. Aside from the main course like your pastries and cakes, they also serve unlimited ice cream paired with unlimited toppings of your choice plus bottomless drinks.


Nachos, dynamites (chili cheese sticks) and empanadas (stuffed bread) were served to comfort our palates when the sweetness is just too overwhelming to be quelled by water and tea. I find this very thoughtful of them since normally, buffet operators prefer if customers get fed up faster but in this case, they actually serve light snacks that are mostly salty and spicy to cancel out the sweetness and restarts your appetite to eat more desserts.


Since the unlimited dessert is quite an experience, I divided the posts into three (3) parts. You may click on the links below for Parts 2 and 3:

Cake Run 9: Love Desserts: Unlimited Cakes Part 2
Cake Run 10: Love Desserts: Unlimited Desserts Part 3

Thoughts? What do you think of unlimited desserts?

Have a Lovely Sunday Evening!

No comments :

Post a Comment