Friday, July 15, 2016

Cake Run 17: Aristocrat Bakeshop: "Chocolate Velvet"

Welcome to the 17th episode. After finding out how to commute efficiently from my place to Aristocrat, which was a bakeshop I frequent with my family when I was a child, I seem cannot get out of my head the fond memories of their chocolate cake. On my second visit, I was tempted to go for the classic chocolate cake but I resisted and instead opted for another chocolate cake called the Chocolate Velvet just to try something new. After all, we cannot always stick to our comfort zone, right?



Visual: Is that a bonnet with a ribbon? It does appeal to my childhood as I am reminded of one of those fairy tale characters who frequents a bonnet on their regular getup. The character's hair is curled tied into a ponytail while using a large ribbon hairpiece to keep it in place. The ribbon tresses are neatly tied leaving no strands of hair amiss.

Taste: Fabulously Unique! It is chocolate but it is truly one of its kind. It does not taste like your usual classic milk or dark chocolate that is usually used in cakes. Gunned down with a spoon, it is sticky and chewy but smooth like silk to the taste and once swallowed, it never fails to create an impact as it does not melt easily <insert picture>. It is strong till the very end. However, it does not differ from the taste of their classic chocolate cake. I was hoping that naming it "velvet" will spell the difference.

Composed of two layers of chocolate bread held together by the very same chocolate used for its exterior coating, it is indeed a cake that every chocolate lovers must try. You will appreciate that the chocolate bread do taste like one as opposed to other chocolate cakes that has the taste of their breading pale in comparison with the overpowering taste of its own icing or cream. 

Topped with ribbon tresses of swirling whites and blacks, I cannot help but commend for not skimping off the chocolate even with just the ornaments. The so-called tresses is not just made of candy but is also chocolate. 


The chewiness of the chocolate is further emphasized as you try to eat the ribbons separately, the chocolate just sticks to it, leaving you no choice but to eat it at the same time. I really love how clingy and protective the chocolate coating is, as it ensures that for every bite you take, you will not be left wanting with just the bread. Don't you just hate it when you are forced to eat cake that is like only 20% cake and 80% bread? I mean if I am going to eat bread, why would I buy cake in the first place?


The downside however is that the cake itself is too sweet. Usually the ornaments are your usual life saver in contradicting the overpowering taste of the main cake such as adding nuts, sprinkling with really thin swirls of chocolates or just stick with dark chocolate, but for this, the ribbon ornament is even sweeter than the cake itself. Only at this level do I see a slight difference from the classic chocolate cake, the topping or the ornaments for the classic one are roses with green leaves which tasted like chocolate mixed with icing. Perhaps I might do a separate episode for that one. Let's see.


Have an Aristocratic Tuesday. Feel free to share your  comments and insights.

1 comment :

  1. Just wanted to say I've really been enjoying reading this series! :)

    ReplyDelete