Saturday, July 23, 2016

Cake Run 18: Tsoknut Batirol: "Mangoes and Cream"

Welcome to the 18th episode of Cake Run. This trip was totally spontaneous. My friend and I were driving through one of the secondary roads in the district to avoid traffic and we happen to pass by this place. What made us look at it twice was the name. It reminded us of a local confectionery. I was not really planning to enter the shop when my friend decided to park in front of it. Well, how can I protest when she is the one driving?

Judging from its name, I was not really expecting much but despite my short stay, it left quite a pleasant mark on me and one that I would definitely earmark as one of the places that I would visit again in the future. For now, we just stopped by for a couple of minutes and me being me, did not pass on the chance to buy a cake or two. 

I bought their house specialty which is the Tsokonut Tablea Chocolate which I will do a review on the next episode. For this entry, I will review the other cake which is the Mangoes and Cream.


Visual: Gold and White. Quite an Angelic Presence, won't you say? It reminds me of Mango Bravo from Conti's
, one of the classic bakeshops in my locality, so I did not bother second guessing in choosing this cake as my other purchase. Plus, it has the quality that I am looking for in a cake. I am into creams so when I see a cake or a pastry with the soft snowy white coating, my gaze would really linger as opposed to a cake that is cream less. 

Now onto the layering, it looks complicated, soft and boy, the slice is big. There looks to be around five levels but maybe six if you would consider the top light brown surface as two instead of one due to the really thin white cream in between. The pattern then becomes more comprehensible once you reach the brown cream wherein it alters between golden brown and light brown and ended with a white crust. To cap off its angelic imagery, it is drizzled with chocolate syrup giving it a wet look with rain spots where the syrup passed through before reaching the bottom. It looks like a city at night after a rainy day. 






Taste: Complicated. There is no dominant taste despite that many layers. It is very light and airy that the big chunk of slice does not seem daunting at all. The only thing that stands out are the mangoes. 







Layering the cake, the golden brown portion is sansrival and the light brown is chocolate cream. The chocolate cream is just average and is really just chocolate flavored cream. The crust is meringue wafer which is a plus but for a crust, it does not have a solid impact in terms of taste. Usually for cakes, if it is not the top that leaves an impression, it is up to the crust to fulfill that role but for this cake, only the mangoes that are hidden across the many layers, were sweet enough to leave a mark on your taste buds. 



Coating the entire cake is the white cream drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with nuts. The white cream tasted normal and does not seem to be of original creation. You can say the same for the chocolate syrup as it tasted like a certain really popular supermarket brand.

Have a Golden Evening. Feel free to share your comments and insights.

2 comments :